Monday, February 6, 2012

14 January 2012 Hardware Elvis -sonnet


This is from another random picture, one which shows an everyday Elvis purchasing items at a local hardware store.  Don’t ask me––I’m only relaying what the picture shows.  Now to get a theme out of this, well, good thing I like challenges...
14 January 2012
Hardware Elvis -sonnet
In line, he stood, Hawaiian shirt half tucked,
his wallet open, paint and nails conveyed
themselves past brush and hammer, what the fuck?
His sideburns, glasses, pompadour displayed
could hardly alter boredom clerks insist
must frame their day, their face, my time, before
I watched him pay within a hound dog’s bliss
and all shook up, I saw him leave the store.
Now, no one’s loved me tender let alone
put me in jail to rock or not, and yet
Kentucky reigned, suspicious minds atoned
for every burnin’ love I can’t forget;
as Elvis left the building, out to lunch,
I heard him say; thank you, thank you very much.
01-14-12
Shakespearean sonnet params; abab cdcd efef gg, iambic pentameter



No comments:

Post a Comment