Monday, February 6, 2012

09 January 2012 Chasing Dreams - fv



Finished watching a small movie clip called ‘The Final Lecture’ by Randy Pausch.  The man sure seemed a lot like Steve Jobs, both the passion and vision.  I can see why Erik put this clip on the flash drive he gave me for Christmas.  I think everyone should see it even if everyone wouldn’t heed his words.  A lot more work and desire than I think most people have in them.  It would mean changing American values (not the idealized ones ala the Constitution) but the real world observances, and changing lives.  
In similar fashion, the thread I read re a wannabe author was deemed to be putting down Lit majors-agents as the reason he couldn’t get his book even looked at.  I actually understand his point and think he’s still operating under the ideal situation and my take is that the world is run by money, not brains or intelligence, not concern for others unless the dollars are there to justify the effort.  Okay, as you can see, I’m just full of opinions and they tend to be negative when I’m talking about mankind as a whole.  Just part of my overall charm, hey?  And yeah, sarcasm doesn’t bait the hook nor make me right, either; it’s just an observance that continues to prove out.  Too many examples of the above to ignore, albeit this situation is not a totality.
Poetry time...
09 January 2012
Chasing Dreams - fv
I just wanna write my name in lipstick,
smear the details over all your skin,
add punctuation and proof-read for sense;
but you’re too busy texting to notice––
either the red marker in my hand
or my own brand of sense;
disillusionment.
No one would let me do it, anyway;
quite sure of this, I’ve begun to draw on myself,
making the lines of my veins line up in vain
with blue meeting red and vice versa,
though I never really know
which side of my body is which,
or even where the color
changes over.
Did you feel when I decided to eat the lipstick?
Did you notice when I cursed myself for misspelling?
Did you hear the frustration bending ideals,
worming holes in modern fallacies
like soccer moms and career women,
eating meals in shifts––
alone or fractured at least––
inventing a new nuclear family,
one that just continues
to die
from
radiation.
He talked about chasing dreams,
the passion he has for life spilling
like most pour drinks ever Friday night,
rising above the numbing,
believing in Karma,
in paybacks coming back,
but helping that way
just retards the process,
and journeys then begin
over again.
I admired his desire for more,
noted his appreciation for life,
for what can be accomplished;
when selfless collides
with self-esteem,
final lectures like his
never are.


No comments:

Post a Comment