Saturday, March 17, 2012

10 February 2012 - Sword of Pain - sonnet





So here it is more than a month later, and I finally finished ‘Beryl’, there fore I can get back to some poetry.  Got a bit of catching up to do, but maybe if I keep the poems short, it can be done more quickly.  While writing the novel, I did come across some really good thematic compositions that I used for chapter tone backdrops, and I think I’ll revisit and see what comes poetically.  The first is penned to a song called ‘Black Blade’, a ‘Two Steps From Hell’ instrumental.
This one is an echo from the same chapter in Beryl as I use ‘Black Blade’ to be another name for the ‘sword of pain’ which my MC Jareth possesses.  When he takes up his ‘pain’ in the form of a sword and is one with his hurt, he can either die by this sword or use it to slay his current misery.  That’s what this poem is saying.
10 February 2012 - Sword of Pain - sonnet
It grips the hand and fosters pain,
there’s shadows burrowing in the steel;
it comes to claim the claim revealed,
the same which haunts and forms my bane.
A rigid length inscribed insane,
blood oaths and vows that bit my heel;
its timeless tune, a blade annealed,
I’m forced to knees where tears have lain.
Still, winds will rise, receive the dare––
these storms abate in small degrees
and sow my penance, root to tree.
The cuts I made can’t be undone,
a suture’s thread find wrists have run;
now second act, I’m almost there.
3-17-12
params: modified (tetrameter) Petrarchan sonnet:  abbaabba cddeec

No comments:

Post a Comment