Saturday, March 17, 2012

12 February 2012 - Archangel - blank verse sonnet





Last one for tonight, done to the tune of another ‘Two Steps From Hell’ melody, ‘Archangel’.  This song brings to mind the book ‘Bloodstone’ (why, I’m not sure, because there IS a graphic of one of Robert E. Howard’s characters, painted by Frank Frazetta, which is called ‘Archangel’ already) and the character Kane.  This book is one of my fave sci-fi fantasy books by Karl Edward Wagner.  So, this poem will have an ‘eternal’ feel to it, much as the song title and the book character emulate.
12 February 2012 - Archangel - blank verse sonnet

A bored antiquity of warrior art,
a lifted sword upon a backdrop’s mat
of emerald shot with bloody filigree;
eternal marches to a distant beat
and begs the bard play one more song of sleep.
Demonic reasons race to fill his eyes,
a desperate plea still lingers on his soul;
he’d give it all to die in peace and find
tomorrow’s dreams were over yesterday.
I’ve felt like this and wished for clearer sight,
I’ve followed tales I wished included me
and even tried to never close my eyes.
But water sleeps and bides it s time so still,
won’t someone hold a mirror to breath of dreams?
3-17-12
params: 14 lines of iambic pentameter, unrhymed

No comments:

Post a Comment